Saturday, November 22, 2008

obsolescence is annoying


I have an iPod Touch and I love it.  And I agree, it is the funnest iPod ever.  However... since they launched the 2nd generation version - which is definitely cooler than my lame 1st generation - I have become very annoyed with how obsolete my $200 + ipod has become.  Exhibit A: the 2nd generation has built in speakers, so you don't have to earbud it all the time. Exhibit B: the 2nd generation is compatible with that Nike software that tracks your work outs.  (This, I believe, is the reason that I am not working out as much as I should.  I blame the ipod.)  And finally, and most annoyingly, I cannot buy a good protector case for it.  I ebayed a silicon one and it was sub-standard, so I went to Best Buy and tried to get one of those awesome hard plastic ones that I have admired on many an iPhone.  I even asked the capable-looking salesperson if the plastic case would fit my 1st generation and he, in typical techno-nerd fashion rolled his eyes and assured me that yes... "they are all the same."  Ok, so I purchased said hard plastic case and scampered to my car to begin the accessorization only to find that no, my stupid 1st generation is too fat for the super-slim case made for 2nd generation iPod Touches.  What's an early adopter to do?

2 comments:

Kim said...

I have a first generation, too, and I am annoyed. I have a pink silicon case with the protector sheet for the screen. It's just okay.

Becky said...

So true. Imagine how I feel. I am the most technologically obsolete person on the planet, but Scott brings home a new device/toy everyday from work. It's like he's rubbing it in how out of date I am when he has a new version of the Google phone or the new blackberry or whatever. Comparing them to my 2004 Nokia phone that's just a phone is depressing. :-)