Tuesday, December 23, 2008

embarrassing myself in front of architects

Why do I always embarrass myself when talking to architects? I tend to think that I am flummoxed by their combination of mathematical ability, tendency to be well-connected and well-informed and design history knowledge. Because while I have gained an adequate, nay, superior design history knowledge, I certainly didn't do so while also learning laws and drawing things and being good at math. No, I certainly did not do that.

We have a great architecture firm that moved in next door to the Herman Miller NDC a few months ago called ai3. They are a small firm of young and friendly and very interesting people and have made excellent neighbors. And while I had heard about a few of their projects in Atlanta, I did not know that they had designed some of the best restaurants in town. Apparently they're good people AND good designers. And that just doesn't happen all the time.


On this particular occasion of embarrassing myself in front of architects, I plainly asked a principal of ai3 what he thought of the interior of Flip Burger Boutique, Top Chef Richard Blais' new restaurant in the neighborhood. You could have flipped a burger on my red, red, cheeks when he, also embarrassed at my ignorance, informed me that ai3 designed the interiors of Flip Burger Boutique. Well shoot.

I think I handled the rest of the conversation well... I praised elements of the design that I liked, learned more about their other restaurant designs (Asia, Holeman and Finch, 4th and Swift, The Globe), and hinted that I thought the interior of Flip looked very SoHo (which, thankfully, was correct - the next Flip may very well be in SoHo). Still, you'd think with all of my internet trolling I would have learned a little more about my neighbors! Gee whiz!

Can I also add that after doing post-traumatic research I am so pleased to read an architect's analysis of space that is so eloquent and actually fits the visual referent! So often I read an architect's analysis and it's pure, unadulterated BS. This little quote from Dave Heimbuch (another genuinely nice neighbor) is a great explanation of the interior. He says, "We brought the unconventional and edginess of the cuisine to the design using reflecting ceiling elements, bold colors and finishes and playful graphics. The result is a design that's invigoratingly modern, yet like the menu, doesn't take itself too seriously." Well thanks, Dave. That makes a lot of sense.

2 comments:

joe said...

This is great! Embarrassed, please. We can fill you on some great ai3 moments of embarrassment.

Great blog!

patrick johnson said...

We have a minimum of 5 years left on our lease. That, I guarantee, will be plenty of time for me to return the favor.

Patrick